Home Made Real Potato Salad the one that Fran use to make!
There are a lot of different home made real potato salads on the web but this is one of the best. Lots of flavor without having to over do it. This is how our mother use to make it. Many a time she was requested to make the potato salad for family gatherings and special events.
There are some tricks to making a great potato salad some are written in the recipe and a few are in the post here. This recipe is from Fran’s hand written index card.
If your into pickles you can add a little pickle juice for extra flavor but don’t over do it because your salad will become runny.
- 4 lbs boiled till fork tender drain and then chilled over night then peeled potatoes, cubed to a nice size. Not to small now.
- 1 cup chopped onion yellow
- 1 cup diced dill pickles (you can use pickle relish too to add a bit of flavor and not have to chop so many pickles). A Fran secret.
- 1 dozen hard boiled eggs. (Save one for garnish on top of completed potato salad)
- 4 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 bundle of Scallions (Green Onions) chopped.
- 1/2 Cups Best Foods Mayonnaise (Best results) to start with add as needed.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix well in a large bowl. Slice the one remaining hard boiled egg in about six or eight layers and place them on top of the salad. Sprinkle lightly with paprika for garnish.
Big tip here! Do not use stainless steel bowls they react to the mayonnaise. And that will take your fantastic potato salad in a direction that you will not like. The flavors you will find are just a bit off.
Always make your salad a day or two in advance. That way all the ingredients get to blend and mix with each other.
The potato’s will soak up the liquid ingredients so a little taste testing is highly recommended.
If you find the potato’s a little dry you can add a bit more mayonnaise , just a little at a time.
Don’t drown the potato’s!
After all this is a dish made with Love.